Three Fires

Three Fires: Torch

A picture of the sun hangs in my window, setting the room on fire
My bed is bursting into flames
I am burning
My skin turns black and leaves lines when I run my hands through my hair

From the tip to the heel, I can feel the fire swell and grow
I hold my muscles taunt and wait to spring into action
My heart races
The blood pounds beneath my crispy skin
The breath dies in my chest and I exhale smoke and ash

Through the haze of heat, the world shimmers and shifts around me
I am out of my place and will be burned at the stake
There is so much at stake
Run
Run from the fire
Run from the flames
Run

But my voice has died in my throat and I exhale smoke and ash
The flesh burns away
The organs cook
I whither to ash and cannot move



Three Fires: Forest

When sorrow breaks like waves
the time has come to end it
A tree of bright white wood
stands gleaming on the hill
The sun sets behind it
and lights it on fire
The grass burns away
leaves the ground covered in ash
A white sky, as the night comes forth
peppered with white stars
A white wall
a white floor

The stars pull at me
like a rope around my neck
I could struggle. I could gasp for air.
but that is where I want to go
There is such weight in this world
and I just want out

How to escape
when the only door stands without walls
How to escape
the path you are being shoved down
This burning sun
this burning sun
Sets my mind afire
this crystal star
Burst my paper into flames
Burn the oil slick my heart has bled



Three Fires: Candle

My mind dies slowly
A flickering candle on its last wicker limb
Never pressed between thumb and forefinger, never snuffed
Just left to burn away, pool into wax
The life of a candle, struck through the core, shot down the middle, burning all the best away
Left alone in the dark and the night and the cold, cold grip of what we used to be

Once I sat in the window and lit the way
“Come this way”
Now I sit as an example of the path not to take
I sit and I sit and I do not care
As the night wears on, my light fades away
I push and force and flicker my flame
“Come this way”
But I cannot move
“Come this way”
But I lost my way
I push and shove and never move an inch
I melt away
I pool into wax
I push and shove

Once I danced on the end of this cotton rope
Now I hang myself with it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is no such thing as "racism"

A Round of Applause

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Fending off Panic

The Two Seperate Categories of Evil and Ken Jennings